Sunday, September 11, 2011

Untitled.

Since the hurricane there has been nothing major really happen in my time here. I introduced myself to a new au pair who arrived a few weeks ago and took her out on her first tour of white plains, I have started embroidery and have been just doing what I can to enjoy my time here.

I met a lovely girl from South africa who invited me to her home last thursday, in harlem. It was so nice to get away from white plains and to go somewhere so different which was so rich in culture. We didn't do too much except walk around a lot and talked a lot about this and that, but it is so nice to have another friend here. I also was able to meet the kids she looked after who were simply adorable!





Today I went with my other South African friend to a really lovely state park in Tarrytown/ Pleasentville. It was so nice to be out in the fresh air and get some oxygen in our muscles. At the end of the day just as we were leaving we saw many people dressed in white and many japanese people wandering about, after talking to a guy, who looked like a preist what was going on, he informed us that they were holding a memorial to mark 10 years since the 9/11 attacks and 6 months since the Japan Earthquakes. He told us to write names on lanterns of people who we knew who had died during our lifetime so we could have our own memorial for them as they put them out onto the lake. It was such a sweet idea and we each made one. We stayed around for the ceremony, and for them to put the first lot of lanterns out but after a while the drumming and the bad smell of the lake mixed with incense made us feel so ill we went home. It was so nice to be able to do something to mark the 10 years since the tragic day, its surprising how even after so long, I can tell you exactly what I was doing and where I was standing when I found out.











No comments:

Post a Comment